ShowBiz & Sports Lifestyle

Hot

Netanyahu says US deal with Iran must dismantle nuclear infrastructure

- - Netanyahu says US deal with Iran must dismantle nuclear infrastructure

By Steven ScheerFebruary 15, 2026 at 11:09 PM

0

FILE PHOTO: Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reacts during the funeral of Israeli hostage Ran Gvili, an off-duty police officer who was killed fighting militants that had infiltrated Israel during the deadly October 7, 2023, attack by Hamas, and the last hostage recovered from Gaza whose remains were finally brought back to Israel on January 26, in the southern town of Meitar, Israel January 28, 2026. CHAIM GOLDBERG/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

By Steven Scheer

JERUSALEM, Feb 15 (Reuters) - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday he told U.S. President Donald Trump last week that any ‌U.S. deal with Iran must include the dismantling of Iran's nuclear infrastructure, ‌not just stopping the enrichment process.

Speaking at the annual Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations, Netanyahu ​also said Israel still needs to "complete the job" of destroying all tunnels in Gaza. Israel, he said, has already dismantled 150 km (93 miles) of an estimated 500 km.

A second round of talks between the U.S. and Iran are slated for this week. Iran is ‌pursuing a nuclear agreement with ⁠the U.S. that delivers economic benefits for both sides, an Iranian diplomat was reported as saying on Sunday.

Netanyahu said he is sceptical ⁠of a deal but it must include enriched material leaving Iran. "There shall be no enrichment capability - not stopping the enrichment process, but dismantling the equipment and the infrastructure that allows ​you to ​enrich in the first place," he said.

Iran ​and the U.S. renewed negotiations earlier ‌this month to tackle their decades-long dispute over Tehran's nuclear programme and avert a new military confrontation. The U.S. has dispatched a second aircraft carrier to the region and is preparing for the possibility of a sustained military campaign if the talks do not succeed, U.S. officials have told Reuters.

Netanyahu also said that he aimed to end ‌U.S. military aid to Israel within the next ​10 years, after the current 10-year deal of ​receiving $3.8 billion a year - which is ​largely spent in the United States on equipment - ends in 2028.

Due ‌to a thriving economy, "we can afford ​to phase out the ​financial component of the military aid that we're receiving, and I propose a 10-year draw down to zero. Now, in the three years that remain in ​the present memorandum of understanding ‌and another seven years draw it down to zero," Netanyahu said.

"We want ​to move with the United States from aid to partnership," he said.

(Reporting ​by Steven Scheer; Editing by Susan Fenton)

Original Article on Source

Source: “AOL Breaking”

We do not use cookies and do not collect personal data. Just news.